Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training

19th October 2017

A safe working guide covering Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training

As part of our October Horticulture month we have included this safe working guide covering Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training, this guidance is for employers and others whose work involves moorland and lowland gamekeeping (including deer stalking and the work of water bailiffs and ghillies) and deer farming. For simplicity, the term ‘gamekeeping’ is used to cover all gamekeeping activities.

HSE advise employers to remember they may be responsible for the health and safety of someone who is self-employed for tax and National Insurance purposes, but who works under their control and direction.

If you are an employee you must co-operate with your employer on health and safety matters and take reasonable care, not just for your own health and safety but also for that of anyone else who may be put at risk by your work.

Providing information, instruction and training
Everyone who works in gamekeeping needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. Employers must provide clear instructions, information and adequate training for employees on:
● the risks they may face;
● measures in place to control the risks;
● how to follow any emergency procedures.

It is particularly important to consider the training needs and supervision of:
● new recruits and trainees;
● young people who are particularly vulnerable to accidents;
● people changing jobs, or taking on new responsibilities;
● non English-speaking workers who will require information in a way they can easily understand;
● people required to use pesticides, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), chainsaws and firearms;
● health and safety representatives, who have particular laws relating to them.

Work environment – Lone workers
Lone workers should not be put at more risk than other employees. Think about and deal with any health and safety risks before people work alone.

● if you need to assess areas of risk including violence, manual handling, the medical suitability of the individual to work alone and any risks arising from the nature of the workplace itself;
● if there are any particular requirements for training and levels of experience needed;
● what systems might be needed to supervise and keep in touch with lone workers where a risk assessment shows this is necessary.

In particular, when working alone in isolated locations you will need a system for dealing with emergencies. As a minimum, at the end of each work period you should check to make sure the worker has returned safely. In the event of illness or injury, it will be vital to know where they are; provide mobile telephones or radios where appropriate. Have an emergency plan prepared and rehearsed. When it is not safe to carry out particular jobs alone, plan work so that an assistant is available.

Harmful substances
Many materials or substances at work could harm your health. Harmful substances can be present in anything from veterinary medicines and pesticides to cleaning products.
To begin to control exposure to hazardous materials you need to do a risk assessment. This involves identifying the harmful substance (using product labels and safety data sheets) and thinking about:
● the route into the body (ie breathed in, skin contact or swallowed);
● how often people work with the substance and for how long;
● the task being done;
● anyone else who could be exposed (eg maintenance workers, the public);
● people who could be exposed accidentally;
● where necessary, whether to provide appropriate health surveillance.

To control exposure to hazardous materials, you should consider avoiding use of the substance/process altogether. However, if that is not possible, use the risk assessment process to make sure measures are in place to control the risks. At Kentra training we deliver courses covering both how to conduct Risk Assessments and COSHH, these highlighted links will take you to the course syllabus pages on our website, for more information.

We also provide Face fit training, which includes dusk masks and the associates risks from dust and how to wear the PPE correctly.

Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training

Off-road transport
Employers should provide training in safe techniques for off-road driving, especially where work involves negotiating rough and steep terrain. Training in safe procedures for debogging vehicles is also needed in many areas.

Wear a seat belt if one is fitted. Wear suitable head protection if you ride a motorcycle or quad bike ATV. Helmets should be manufactured and tested to the current relevant EN/BS standard.

When towing equipment behind quad bike ATVs, it is important to ensure good stability and braking. Brakes fitted to the trailed equipment will help prevent jackknifing when braking or travelling downhill. Stability is improved if a ball hitch is used with a swivel mechanism on the drawbar and if the load is arranged so that some weight is transferred to the drawbar. Make sure the trailed weight is not excessive for the ATV and do not exceed manufacturer’s recommended towing weights.

Quad bike training courses are available, for more information just follow this LINK.

Anyone using a chainsaw at work should have received relevant training. Suitable protective clothing should be provided and worn. At Kentra we provide a Crosscut and Maintenance Chainsaw course, just click HERE for more details.

Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training

Deer stalking    Handling of carcasses – manual handling risks
Try to avoid handling deer carcasses manually. It may be possible to use a small winch and portable ramp to load the carcass onto a transport vehicle. Mechanised handling systems in deer larders will reduce manual effort and allow efficient movement of carcasses within the larder and to and from vehicles.

If you cannot avoid manual handling, reduce the risk of injury as far as reasonably practicable. Minimise the height of the lift and the distance the carcass has to be dragged or carried. Avoid situations where you have to twist as you lift and make sure you have at least one assistant whenever possible.

Manual Handling courses are only half day for up to 10 candidates per session, which we provide on-site to minimise disruption to your workforce.

We hope you have found this article Gamekeeper and Land Manager Training of interest, our news publications this month are covering all different types of Horticulture and although this is slightly diversifying we thought this was a nice inclusion.

Our office staff are on hand for you to Contact Us and happy to discuss any of your training queries or options as we deliver over 100 different courses which include a number of Horticulture training programmes including Strimmers, Brushcutters & Hedgetrimmers.

Warm regards from The Kentra Team

Kentra training accreditations