Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Horticulture courses, including this Hand Held Hedge Trimmer training course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
It is envisaged at the end of the hand held hedge trimmer course, that the operator will be able to operate a hand held hedge trimmer safely.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
● Set up an exclusion zone
● Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for hedge trimmer use
● Select suitable type of machine relative to the work being undertaken
● Prepare the hedge trimmer for use
● Conduct all necessary safety checks at the work area
● Operate machinery safely and efficiently
● Storage and transport of hand held trimmers
● Disposal of cut materials
● Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that everyone at work needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers to provide their employees with information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, their health and safety at work . The self employed also have a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their work activities.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also specify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, e.g. when people start work. There are a number of other regulations with specific training requirements, e.g. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) specifies the need for training for people who use work equipment.
The Hand Held Hedge Trimmer training course ratios are
Novice: 4 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1-2 Days
Refresher and Test: 4 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1 Day
Experienced Worker Test (EWT): 6 Candidates: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Pre operational checks
● Operate – strim a designated length of hedge or bushes, carrying out the work safely and in a logical and methodical manner
● End of shift checks
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session, using the hand held hedge trimmer to cut vegetation.
Delegates will be expected to provide their own PPE.
All machinery to be in good working order.
Certification & Validation
This can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N610 Hand Held Hedge Trimmer training course.
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this Hand Held Hedge Trimmer training course or any other details please Contact us.