Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Plant Operator courses, including this Excavator as a Crane training course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary for operators to correctly prepare, safely operate an Excavator as a Crane and correctly maintain an Excavator.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate, identify and explain safe working loads, lifting capacity chart and explain the different lifting configurations and working ranges
● Identify and explain different lifting procedures, explain what task could fall into each category
● Identify and explain centres of gravity, calculate estimated weights of loads
● Identify any overhead / proximity hazards
● Liaise with a slinger / signaller
● Operate machinery safely and efficiently
● Lift and move a load to a designated position in a safe and controlled manner ensuring minimum uncontrolled movement
● Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. This is a bolt on course to the candidates existing Excavator training, at the time of testing the candidates must have a valid Excavator licence, with a minimum of 12 months before the expiry date. Where the excavator operator may be required to sling the loads they are transport they too must be qualified and competent slinger / signaller. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘There are three categories of worker who must be trained and competent regarding the excavator hazards and precautions:
Drivers: should be trained, competent and authorised to operate the specific excavator. Training certificates from recognised schemes help demonstrate competence and certificates should be checked for validity;
Signallers: should be trained, competent and authorised to direct excavator movements and, where possible, provided with a protected position from which they can work in safety; and
Pedestrians: should be instructed in safe pedestrian routes on site and the procedure for making drivers aware of their presence’
The Excavator as a Crane training course ratios are
Novice: 4 Candidates: 1 machine: 1 Instructor Duration: 1 – 2 Days
Refresher and Test: 4 Candidates: 1 machine: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1 Day
Experienced Worker Tests (EWT): 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor Duration: 1 Day
Test timings: Full test must be completed within an hour.
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Pre-operational checks and daily maintenance
● Pre-excavating checks
● Battery care and refueling procedures
● Mobility and stability factors
● Safety rules applicable to operating
● Safe use of attachments
● Agreed signal codes/Hand signals with Slinger/ Signaller
● Identified weights and centres of gravity
● Lift and move a load
● Load lowered and placed as instructed at a given point
● End of shift checks
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
● The candidates must move at least 3 different types of load
1 x bundled load
1 x long load
1 x load that is no more that 60% of the rated capacity of the machine at 75% of its full working radius as per lifting chart
● Loads must be travelled over undulating terrain to an agreed point, 1 slewed and positioned at 75% of the full radius, 1 slewed and placed below ground level or at an out of sight position, and 1 at a given location
● Travel distance of the loads must be minimum of 30m
● Loads slewed with the guidance of a slinger
● Maximum height from underside of the load to ground level should be no more than 100mm
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session with use of the machine.
The Instructor is required to see the machine/equipment’s LOLER certificate before commencement of the course.
All machines to be in good working order.
All our instructors are experienced slinger / signallers and can act in this capacity if required.
Certification & Validation
This Excavator as a Crane training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N100 Excavator as a Crane training course (Bolt on)
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this Excavator as a Crane training course or any other details please Contact us.