Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Plant Operator courses, including this 180 excavator training course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary to train operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and correctly maintain a 180 Excavator.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
● Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for excavator 180 use and prepare the excavator ready for operation
● Attach and setup trailers, mounted equipment and PTO drives ready for operation
● Operate machinery safely and efficiently
● Storage and transport of excavator 180 attachments
● Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of loading and unloading procedures for machine transportation
● Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘There are three categories of worker who must be trained and competent regarding the excavator hazards and precautions:
Drivers: should be trained, competent and authorised to operate the specific excavator. Training certificates from recognised schemes help demonstrate competence and certificates should be checked for validity;
Signallers: should be trained, competent and authorised to direct excavator movements and, where possible, provided with a protected position from which they can work in safety; and
Pedestrians: should be instructed in safe pedestrian routes on site and the procedure for making drivers aware of their presence’
The 180 excavator training course ratios are
Novices: 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-10 days (Course can include Quick Hitch training if required)
Refresher and Test: 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
Experienced Worker Test (EWT): 4 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT 3 + 3 Combination of tests are available for this category (i.e 3 tests on a Excavator and 3 on a dumper in one day)
Test timings : Full test must be completed within 2 hours 45 minute duration.
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Pre-operational checks and daily maintenance
● Pre-excavating checks
● Battery care and refueling procedures
● Mobility and stability factors
● Safety rules applicable to operating
● Safe use of attachments
● Excavating and back filling
● Evacuate a trench to level and tolerances
● Build a stockpile and safely load a vehicle i.e. dumper or trailer
● Quick Hitch, if required
● End of shift checks
● Below 5 ton
● Above and below 5 tonnes
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
Area to dig a trench 15m for above 5T and 10m for below 5T.
Trench length to be 6 meters, 1 meter deep
Loading vehicle to be filled to capacity
The loads placed in the vehicle must be loaded with both front and backhoe buckets. Minimum of 2 loads from each.
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session. For the NPORS category ‘above and below 5T’ an excavator above 5T will be required for the assessment/test or the operator will be restricted to the smaller machine.
Need a dumper/trailer on site to load into with some spoil from the site. Combination of 3 + 3 test available with the dumper.
The Instructor is required to see the machine/equipment’s LOLER certificate (if applicable) before commencement of the course.
All to be in good working order.
Certification & Validation
This 180 excavator training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N201 180 Excavator training course
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this 180 excavator training course or any other details please Contact us.