Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Plant Operator courses, including this Road Sweeper training course. We specialise in providing on-site testing, this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary for operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and maintain a Road Sweeper.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
● Be able to locate and identify steering, driving and braking controls and explain their functions
● Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for Sweeper use and prepare the machine ready for operation
● Configure the machine for travel and manoeuvre it safely across varying terrain in open and confined areas
● Operate the sweeper safely and efficiently
● Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of tipping procedures, diverse waste, types of hazardous and toxic waste and waste landfill codes
● Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates with prior training on the Road Sweeper, who need refresher training or experienced operator re-assessing.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that everyone at work needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers to provide their employees with information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, their health and safety at work . The self employed also have a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their work activities.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also specify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, e.g. when people start work. There are a number of other regulations with specific training requirements, e.g. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) specifies the need for training for people who use work equipment.
The Road Sweeper training course ratios are
Refresher & Test: 1 Machine: 3 Candidates: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
Experienced Worker Tests (EWT) : 1 Machine: 6 Candidates: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Safety awareness session
● Pre operational checks
● Unload sweeper from low loader
● Pre start checks
● Sweeper operation
● Sweeper driven to nominated tipping/emptying and spoil removed
● Sweeper cleaned
● End of shift checks
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session using the Road Sweeper.
Sweeping operations must be carried out on at least one or more of the following work environments
● Public Highway
● Private Road
● Road Works
● Industrial Premises
● Construction Site
We can also assess on any attachments required and these can be detailed on the candidates card.
All machines to be in good working order.
Certification & Validation
This Road Sweeper training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N217 Road Sweeper training course
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this Road Sweeper training course or any other details please Contact us.