Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Plant Operator courses, including this Skip Lorry Training Course. We specialise in providing on-site testing, this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary to train operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and correctly maintain a Skip Lorry.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and operating controls of the machine and explain their functions
● Configure the vehicle ready for travel, on site and on the public highway
● Travel over various types of ground i.e. level, undulating ground / loaded and unloaded
● Manoeuvre in confined spaces loaded and unloaded
● Position the vehicle safely and correctly so as to conduct loading / unloading operations
● Pick up and deposit skips of various sizes and weights
● Transfer skips to various locations
● Check the load for security and integrity
● Check that all skips are left in a safe manner when deposited
● Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates with prior training on the Road Sweeper, who need refresher training or experienced operator re-assessing.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that everyone at work needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers to provide their employees with information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, their health and safety at work . The self employed also have a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their work activities.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also specify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, e.g. when people start work. There are a number of other regulations with specific training requirements, e.g. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) specifies the need for training for people who use work equipment.
The Skip Lorry training course ratios are
Refresher and Test: 1 Machine: 3 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1 Day
Experienced Worker Test (EWT): 1 Machine: 6 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration 1 day
Test timings: Full test must be completed within 1 hour 45 minutes duration.
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Pre-operational checks and daily maintenance
● Drive skip lorry around site safely
● Delivery of an empty skip
● Collection of a loaded skip ensuring correctly secured and sheeted
● Transportation of skip to tipping area
● End of shift checks
All safety devices and stabiliser systems must be used when lifting and placing skips
Laden vehicle must be travelled at least 500m away from tipping point
The vehicle must reverse at least 15m in a straight line to retrieve the skip from a confined area
The restricted area and headroom must be no more than half the height of the skip being used and the width of the skip loader plus 800mm
The placement of the skip should be within 500mm of the designated placement point
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session.
Candidates must have a copy of their UK driving licence to submit with the test sheet. Lorry drivers must hold Category C entitlement on their valid UK driving licence in order to drive a vehicle in excess of 7.5 tonne capacity on the public highway.
The Instructor is required to see the machine/equipment’s LOLER certificate (if applicable) before commencement of the course.
Certification & Validation
This Skip Lorry training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N219 Skip Lorry training course
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this Skip Lorry training course or any other details please Contact us.