Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Tool Safety courses, including this Cable Avoidance Tool training course also called CAT and Genny. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the knowledge for working safely and efficiently in the work place or on site, and the avoidance of underground services when excavating.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the controls of the equipment and explain their functions
● Configure the equipment for use
● Identify the different types of underground services
● Identify risks that underground services may present and understand the causes of accidents from those services
● Carry out detection tasks
● Carry out end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), detecting underground services will require information from those who own the services. Only individuals with sufficient experience and technical knowledge should carry out a comprehensive survey of the work area using the appropriate survey tools and equipment. This course is designed to provide you with evidence of the required experience and knowledge required.
The cable avoidance tool training course ratios are
6 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1 Day
● Responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act, 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
● Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulation 1998
● Pre operational checks
● Demonstrate correct way to hold locating tool
● The function and operation of all controls of the cable avoidance tool (CAT)
● Inspection and maintenance of the equipment
● Correct search procedures
● Sweep the area and record findings
● Demonstrate pinpointing and tracing
● End of search checks
● Cat and Genny (Radio detection)
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
A room for the theory session and safe area for the practical session, to supply a CAT & Genny machine, calibrated and in good working order.
A service plan of the area where the practical session is to take place, to verify to the candidate he has correctly found the underground services (Service plans).
Certification & Validation
This cable avoidance tool training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N304 Cable Avoidance Tool training course.
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news. Kentra Training deliver over 100 different courses, which include Safety at Street and Roadworks course or Excavator courses which are under the Plant Operator section.