Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Tool Safety courses, including this Petrol Driven Cut Off Saw training course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To ensure the safe use of Petrol Driven Cut Off Saws, to create a safe system of work understanding the need for accident prevention and control, to enable candidates to work safely with the awareness of the dangers of abrasive wheels.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls and explain their functions
● Select a suitable blade relative to the work being undertaken
● Conduct all necessary safety checks and prepare the machine for use, operate machinery safely and efficiently
● Storage and transport and be able to carry out end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
Abrasive Wheels and Petrol Driven Cut Off Saws are covered under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER), and it is a legal requirement for those involved in the use of abrasive wheels to receive adequate training on mounting and safe use.
The Petrol Driven Cut Off Saw training course ratios are
6 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1 day Including practical session with the cut off saw.
Test timings : Candidate practical’s to be completed within an hour duration.
● Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, PUWER 1998 and other relevant legislation
● Safety Awareness session
● Pre start checks on differing machines
● Inspection of grinding wheels / discs
● Changing cutting wheels / discs
● Practical cutting / grinding
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
There must be a sufficient quantity of material to cut
Utilising a cutting trolley to cut a channel of at least 2 metres (If applicable)
The candidates will be required to select cutting blades, from a selection of both good and poor conditioned (our instructor will bring with him unsuitable blades for the candidates to assess).
A room for the theory session and a practical session using the Petrol Driven Cut Off Saw.
Delegates will be expected to supply a machine in good working order, a selection of blades / discs and provide their own PPE including hearing, leg and eye protection, helmet and gloves. Safety Boots or steel toe-capped boots.
Certification & Validation
This Petrol Driven Cut Off Saw training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N017 Petrol Driven Cut Off Saw training course.
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Kentra training have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news. Here’s a link to our article regarding Abrasive Wheels regulations which you may find interesting.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses our Abrasive Wheels Awareness course is the ideal starting point for new trainees or additional evidence for experienced workers. Full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com