Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Tool Safety courses, including this uniquely designed Small Plant and Portable Tools Training Course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To ensure the safe use of small plant and portable tools, to create a safe system of work understanding the need for accident prevention and control, to enable candidates to work safely with the awareness of the dangers from hand held equipment.
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
● To be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls and explain their functions
● Select a suitable type of machine relative to the work being undertaken
● Conduct all necessary safety checks and prepare the machine for use, operate machinery safely and efficiently
● Storage and transportation and be able to carry out end of shift and shut down procedures
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
All people using equipment at work must be adequately trained to ensure health and safety in its use, supervision or management. Employers must ‘ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for the purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using work equipment, and risks which such use may entail and the precautions to be taken.’ (PUWER regulation 9).
The Small Plant and Portable Tools Training Course ratios are
5 pieces of small plant or equipment : 4 candidates Duration : 1 Day
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation
● Site checks
● PPE Personal Protective Equipment
● Pre Operational checks
● Safety rules applicable to the machines/equipment being used
● Completion of tasks using machines/equipment
● End of shift checks
● Floor Saw
● Morticing Machines
● Concrete Corer
● Jack Hammer
● Nail Guns
● Whacker Plate
● Gas Lance
If any other machine/equipment is of interest please ask and we will be able to advise of we can accommodate on this course.
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
There must be a sufficient quantity of material to cut / grind / drill etc to observe the equipment in operation.
Appropriate measures to ensure the material is secure whilst using the equipment.
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session.
5 types of Small Plant or Portable Tool for the candidates to be tested on. Please advise what variations these will be when booking the course.
Delegates will be expected to provide their own PPE.
All tools to be in a good working order.
Certification & Validation
This Small Plant and Portable Tools Training Course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card P729 Small Plant and Portable Tools Training Course
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com Including an online HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration) programme which maybe of interest.
If you would like to discuss this Small Plant and Portable Tools Training Course or any other details please Contact us.