Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Working at Heights courses, including this Safe use of Steps and Ladder training course. We specialise in providing on-site training and this course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical training, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To make users of ladders and steps (and their Managers and Supervisors) aware of Safe methods of use, likely risks during use, precautions to be taken and the need for inspection
● To have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities
● To be able to locate and identify the major components of the Ladder and explain their functions
● Conduct all safety checks in accordance with manufacturers and legislative requirements
● Select suitable type of Ladder relative to the work being undertaken
● Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for Ladder use
● Erect, dismantle and relocate ladder safely and efficiently
● Carry out end of work inspections
● Storage of Ladders and Steps
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘All people using equipment at work must be adequately trained to ensure health and safety in its use, supervision or management. … People should be competent for the work they undertake. Training – along with knowledge, experience and skill – helps develop such competence. However, competence may (in some cases) necessarily include medical fitness and physical / mental aptitude for the activity.’
The Safe use of Steps and Ladder training course ratios are
10 Candidates: 1 Instructor, Duration: 1/2 Day
We can run two half day sessions, alternatively we can run another half day course such as Safe working at Heights or Harness & Fall Arrest. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to discuss the options available.
● Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and other relevant legislation and guidelines.
● Selection, inspection and use of ladders
● Correct use of ladders/ safe systems of work, including:
● Securing of ladders. Suitable conditions for the ladder. Correct ladder angles.
● Ladder sections- correct overlap. Climbing and lifting of loads on ladders.
● Working on ladders. Storage of ladders and carrying & transporting ladders.
● Common hazards & how to control them.
● Requirements for inspection of ladders.
● Risk assessments and permits.
● Accident prevention
A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session, using a selection of ladders and steps.
All equipment to be in good working order.
Certification & Validation
This Safe use of Steps and Ladder training course can be registered with our awarding body or certificated as a Kentra card. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
● Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
● NPORS registration and plastic ID card N711 Safe Use of Ladder training course.
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Other courses related to the Ladder training course are detailed in our Working at Heights section.
In addition to our on-site training Kentra are in the unique position to be able to offer on-line courses, full details are available on our on-line website www.kentraonline.com
We also have a dedicated News page to keep you up to date with information from the industry and training news.
If you would like to discuss this Ladder training course or any other details please Contact us.