We provide a wide selection of Plant Operator courses, specialising in providing on-site training. This N204 Forward Tipping Dumper course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary to train operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and correctly maintain a Forward Tipping Dumper.
Delegate Eligibility – Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-3 days
- Refresher and Test: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Test (EWT): This is just testing only 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for a special combination of tests – a 3 + 3 Combination. i.e. 3 tests on a Excavator and 3 on a dumper in one day, meaning 3 candidates can be tested on both Excavator and Dumper in one day by the same instructor.
Test timings : Each candidates full practical Dumper test must be completed within a 1 hour duration.
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre operational checks
- Drive efficiently and safely under differing site conditions, including gradients
- Position the dumper correctly for discharging, and for loading by other equipment
- Correct and safe methods of starting and stopping engines
- Safety precautions which must be carried out
- Capacities and limitations
- Transportation of spoil to the tipping area
- End of shift checks
Variation of Dumper
- 180 Tipping
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for Forward Tipping Dumper use and prepare the Dumper ready for operation
- Attach and set trailers, ready for operation
- Storage and transport of implements and attachments
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Registration with NPORS can be with either the standard 5 year traditional card or with a NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
New Entrant – No (S)NVQ Held (2 year – Red Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite Excavator NVQ will be issued with a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite (S)NVQ.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record / operator logbook will also be issued.
New Entrant – (S)NVQ Held (5 year – Blue Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite (S)NVQ will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record / operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.
Please note that in all cases for a NPORS/CSCS card, operators will have to supply proof that they have passed the CITB health, safety & environmental touch screen test within two years.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS traditional registration and plastic ID card N204 Forward Tipping Dumper
- NPORS/CSCS registration and plastic ID card C204 Forward Tipping Dumper
2 year Red card – No NVQ
5 year Blue card – if you hold a NVQ for Excavations
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘There are three categories of worker who must be trained and competent regarding the dumper hazards and precautions: Drivers: should be trained, competent and authorised to operate the specific dumper. Training certificates from recognised schemes help demonstrate competence and certificates should be checked for validity; Signallers: should be trained, competent and authorised to direct dumper movements and, where
possible, provided with a protected position from which they can work in safety; and Pedestrians: should be instructed in safe pedestrian routes on site and the procedure for making drivers aware of their presence’
Specifications – requirements for the course
- Dumper must be fitted with R.O.P.S.
- If tipping over an edge a bund or stop block maybe constructed as to withstand the force of the dumper
On-site Course Requirements
- A room for the theory session
- A safe area for the practical session with use of the Dumper
- An Excavator, loading shovel or similar machine is required on site which can load the Dumper enabling the test to be completed.
- Combination of 3 + 3 test available with the excavator / or similar machine.
- All machines to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N204 Forward Tipping Dumper course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team