We specialise in providing on-site training and this N209 Loading Shovel course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary to train operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and correctly maintain a Loading Shovel.
Delegate Eligibility – Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-5 days
- Refresher and Test: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Test (EWT): This is just testing only 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for a special combination of tests – as a dumper or similar equipment is required for the test a 3 + 3 Combination is available.
i.e. 3 tests on a Loading Shovel and 3 on a dumper in one day, meaning 3 candidates can be tested on both Loading Shovel and Dumper in one day by the same instructor.
Test timings : Each candidates full practical test must be completed within 1 hour 45 minute duration.
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre-operational checks
- Operate all controls safely and sympathetically
- External transport loading
- Creation of a ramp and transport material safely
- Attachments if required
- End of shift checks
Variations of Loading Shovel
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for Loading Shovel and prepare the machine ready for operation
- Operate machinery safely and efficiently
- Storage and transport of implements and attachments
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of loading and unloading procedures for machine transportation
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances.
Registration with NPORS can be with either the standard 5 year traditional card or with a
NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
New Entrant – No (S)NVQ Held (2 year – Red Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite Excavator NVQ will be issued with a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite (S)NVQ.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record / operator logbook will also be issued.
New Entrant – (S)NVQ Held (5 year – Blue Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite (S)NVQ will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record / operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.
Please note that in all cases for a NPORS/CSCS card, operators will have to supply proof that they have passed the CITB health, safety & environmental touch screen test within two years.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS traditional registration and plastic ID card N209 Loading Shovel
- NPORS/CSCS registration and plastic ID card C209 Loading Shovel
2 year Red card – No NVQ
5 year Blue card – if you hold a NVQ for Excavations
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that everyone at work needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers to provide their employees with information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, their health and safety at work . The self employed also have a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their work activities.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also specify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, e.g. when people start work. There are a number of other regulations with specific training requirements, e.g. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) specifies the need for training for people who use work equipment.
Specifications – requirements for the course
- Sufficient quantity of material for the assessment, to load the machine
- Create a ramp to minimum of 1.5 bucket width, with minimum of 1.5 times the length of the loading shovel
- Loading vehicle to be filled to capacity. (Minimum of 3 loads)
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session
- A safe area for the practical session with use of the Loading Shovel
- A machine to load with material i.e. Dump Truck / Tipper lorry.
- Materials to create a ramp.
- Any attachments which you would like to be detailed on the card.
- The Instructor is required to see the machine/equipment’s LOLER certificate (if applicable) before commencement of the course.
- All machines to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N209 Loading Shovel course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team