We specialise in providing Health and Safety training, this course is unique to Kentra, we designed the P729 Small Plant and Portable Tools course and received NPORS approval for their accreditation. The course can be delivered on-site training or come to us at our purpose designed training centre in Middlewich, Cheshire.
This course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To ensure the safe use of small plant and portable tools, to create a safe system of work understanding the need for accident prevention and control, to enable candidates to work safely with the awareness of the dangers from hand held equipment.
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
1 day for up to 4 Candidates : 1 Instructor : 5 pieces of small plant or equipment
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation
- Site checks
- PPE Personal Protective Equipment
- Pre Operational checks
- Safety rules applicable to the machines/equipment being used
- Completion of tasks using machines/equipment
- End of shift checks
A few examples of the variations of small plant or portable tools
- Floor Saw
- Morticing Machines
- Concrete Corer
- Jack Hammer
- Nail Guns
- Whacker Plate
- Gas Lance
If any other machine/equipment is of interest please ask and we will be able to advise of we can accommodate on this course.
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls and explain their functions
- Select a suitable type of machine relative to the work being undertaken
- Conduct all necessary safety checks and prepare the machine for use, operate machinery safely and efficiently
- Storage and transportation and be able to carry out end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course is unique to Kentra Training, it was developed with our awarding body NPORS and can be accredited by them or ourselves Kentra Training.
We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS registration and plastic ID card P729 Small Plant and Portable Tools
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
All people using equipment at work must be adequately trained to ensure health and safety in its use, supervision or management. Employers must ‘ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for the purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using work equipment, and risks which such use may entail and the precautions to be taken.’ (PUWER regulation 9).
There must be a sufficient quantity of material to cut / grind / drill etc to observe the equipment in operation.
Appropriate measures to ensure the material is secure whilst using the equipment.
This course can be delivered on-site where we come to you and use your equipment, alternatively you can come to us and we will provide everything you need for the course.
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session.
- A safe area for the practical session
- 5 types of Small Plant or Portable Tool for the candidates to be tested on. Please advise what variations these will be when booking the course.
- Delegates will be expected to provide their own PPE.
- All tools to be in a good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their own date of birth and National Insurance number.
Training Centre Course Requirements
For courses conducted at our training centre, in Middlewich we provide all the equipment, tools and supplies required to conduct the course.
- Delegates will need to be suitably dressed to use the equipment, and may wish to bring their own PPE to use.
- If you would prefer you may bring along your own equipment to use during the course, so that we can run through the operating and maintenance of your own equipment.
- Candidates will need to know their own dates of birth and National Insurance number.
Courses at our training centre can be run as open training programmes, meaning that if you only have one or two candidates, you can join a course with other delegates on a mutually convenient day.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this P729 Small Plant and Portable Tools course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team