Kentra Training specialise in providing both on-site training and courses delivered at our purpose designed training centre in Middlewich, Cheshire. This N138 Cable Avoidance Tools course also called a CAT and Genny, is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the knowledge for working safely and efficiently in the work place or on site, and the avoidance of underground services when excavating.
Delegate Eligibility / Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
1 day for up to 6 Candidates : 1 Instructor
- Cat and Genny (Radio detection)
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act, 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulation 1998
- Pre operational checks
- Demonstrate correct way to hold locating tool
- The function and operation of all controls of the cable avoidance tool (CAT)
- Inspection and maintenance of the equipment
- Correct search procedures
- Sweep the area and record findings
- Demonstrate pinpointing and tracing
- End of search checks
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the controls of the equipment and explain their functions
- Configure the equipment for use
- Identify the different types of underground services
- Identify risks that underground services may present and understand the causes of accidents from those services
- Carry out detection tasks
- Carry out end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS registration and plastic ID card N304 Cable Avoidance Tool
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), detecting underground services will require information from those who own the services. Only individuals with sufficient experience and technical knowledge should carry out a comprehensive survey of the work area using the appropriate survey tools and equipment. This course is designed to provide you with evidence of the required experience and knowledge required.
This course can be delivered on-site where we come to you and use your equipment, alternatively you can come to us and we will provide everything you need for the course.
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session.
- A safe area for the practical session, with sufficient length and width to conduct a search.
- A CAT & Genny machine, calibrated and in good working order.
- A service plan of the area where the practical session is to take place, to verify to the candidate he has correctly found the underground services (Service plans).
- Candidates will need to know their own date of birth and National Insurance number.
Training Centre Course Requirements
- For courses conducted at our training centre, in Middlewich we provide all the equipment, tools and supplies required to conduct the course.
- Delegates will need to be suitably dressed to use the equipment, and may wish to bring their own PPE to use.
- If you would prefer you may bring along your own equipment to use during the course, so that we can run through the operating and maintenance of your own equipment.
- Candidates will need to know their own dates of birth and National Insurance number.
Courses at our training centre can be run as open training programmes, meaning that if you only have one or two candidates, you can join a course with other delegates on a mutually convenient day.
We have a CAT 4 available for use on our courses
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
The Kentra Training Team