Kentra Training provide a wide selection of Lifting Operation courses, we specialise in providing on-site training for the N140 Compact Crane and detailed below is the course syllabus and training information for these mini and spider crane training and assessments.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary for operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and maintain a Mini Crane. This course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Delegate Eligibility, Entry Requirements
The course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-5 days
- Refresher and Test: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Test (EWT): This is just testing only 4 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for a special combination of tests – as a slinger / signaller is required for the test a 3 + 3 Combination is available.
i.e. 3 tests on a Mobile Crane + 3 tests on a Mini Crane or 3 Crane tests + 3 Slinger tests, in the day
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre-shift checks and daily maintenance
- Carry out site safety checks
- Carry out load safety checks
- Liaison with Banksperson or slinger signaller
- Manoeuvred and positioned the crane correctly in accordance with the lifting plan
- Checked operating radius
- Informed slinger signaller of the safe working load
- Set rated capacity indicator correctly
- Deployment of outriggers
- Operated crane correctly under the control of the slinger signaller
- Carry out various lifts
- End of shift procedure
- Pick and carry duties
- Pedestrian operated
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as a Crane operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions
- To be able to locate and identify key controls and explain their functions
- Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for mini compact crane use
- Conduct all pre-operational and running checks in accordance with manufactures and legislative requirements
- Prepare the mini compact crane for use and operate machine safely and efficiently
- Carry out all end of work and shut down procedures
Test timings : Each candidates full practical Crane test must be completed within 1 hour 45 minute duration.
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances.
Registration with NPORS can be with either the standard 5 year traditional card or with a NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
New Entrant – No (S)NVQ Held (2 year – Red Card) Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite Excavator NVQ will be issued with
a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite (S)NVQ.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record / operator logbook will also be issued.
New Entrant – (S)NVQ Held (5 year – Blue Card) Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite (S)NVQ will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record / operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.
Please note that in all cases for a NPORS/CSCS card, operators will have to supply proof that they have passed the CITB health, safety & environmental touch screen test within two years.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS traditional registration and plastic ID card N140 Compact Crane
- NPORS/CSCS registration and plastic ID card C140 Mini Compact Crane
2 year Red card – No NVQ
5 year Blue card – if you hold a NVQ for Excavations
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘All people using equipment at work must be adequately trained to ensure health and safety in its use, supervision or management. … People should be competent for the work they undertake. Training – along with knowledge, experience and skill – helps develop such competence. However, competence may (in some cases) necessarily include medical fitness and physical / mental aptitude for the activity.’
Specifications – requirements for the course
- The slinger/signaller used to attach loads must be adequately trained
- All lifting accessories must be certified and fit for purpose
- The weight of all loads must be known and clearly marked on the load
- 3 loads are required, one of at least 75% of the cranes rated capacity. Load 2 consisting of tubes (or tubular structure) no less than 4 meters in length and load 3 must be at least 50% of the SWL at 75% of the max radius of the crane.
On-site Course Requirements
- A room for the theory session
- A safe area for the practical session with use of the N140 Compact Crane.
- Representative Loads.
- Slinger signaller to liaise with and assist with the lifting operation.
- The Instructor is required to see the LOLER certificate for all equipment used for the practical sessions before commencement of the course.
- All machines to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N140 Compact Crane course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team