We provide a wide selection of Agricultural and Horticulture courses, specialising in on-site training. The N610 Hedge Trimmer course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
It is envisaged at the end of the hand held hedge trimmer course, that the operator will be able to operate a hand held hedge trimmer safely.
We also cover in our presentation the hazards associated with various plants and toxic woods, which the candidates may come into contact with during their work.
Delegate Eligibility – Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 4 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-2 days
- Refresher and Test: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 4 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Test (EWT): This is just testing only 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for mixed category testing with other items of Horticulture equipment, up to the maximum of 6 Experienced Worker tests per day for 1 Instructor. i.e. 3 candidates tested on both Hedge Trimmer (3 tests) and Strimmer (3 tests) in one day.
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre operational checks
- Operate – strim a designated length of hedge or bushes, carrying out the work safely and in a logical and methodical manner
- End of shift checks
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
- Set up an exclusion zone
- Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for hedge trimmer use
- Select suitable type of machine relative to the work being undertaken
- Prepare the hedge trimmer for use
- Conduct all necessary safety checks at the work area
- Operate machinery safely and efficiently
- Storage and transport of hand held trimmers
- Disposal of cut materials
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS registration and plastic ID card N610 Hedge Trimmer
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) state that everyone at work needs to know how to work safely and without risks to health. The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers to provide their employees with information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, their health and safety at work . The self employed also have a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their work activities.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also specify situations where health and safety training is particularly important, e.g. when people start work. There are a number of other regulations with specific training requirements, e.g. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER98) specifies the need for training for people who use work equipment.
Specifications – requirements for the course
- Hedge length to be a minimum of 5 meters long, 500mm width. Allowing for horizontal and vertical cuts.
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session.
- A safe area for the practical assessment, using the hand held hedge trimmer to cut vegetation.
- Delegates will be expected to provide their own PPE.
- All machinery to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their own date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N610 Hedge Trimmer course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team