We specialise in providing on-site training and this N202 360 Excavator course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical
machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To provide the practical skills and the operating safety knowledge necessary to train operators to correctly prepare, safely operate and correctly maintain a 360 Excavator.
Delegate Eligibility – Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration 1-10 days (This course can also include Quick Hitch training if required)
- Refresher and Test: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Test (EWT): This is just testing only 4 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for a special combination of tests – as a dumper or similar equipment is required for the test a 3 + 3 Combination is available.
i.e. 3 tests on a Excavator and 3 on a dumper in one day, meaning 3 candidates can be tested on both Excavator and Dumper in one day by the same instructor.
Test timings : Each candidates full practical test must be completed within 2 hours 45 minute duration.
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre-operational checks and daily maintenance
- Pre-excavating checks
- Battery care and refuelling procedures
- Mobility and stability factors
- Safety rules applicable to operating
- Safe use of attachments
- Excavating and back filling
- Evacuate a trench to level and tolerances
- Formation of a raised bench or creation of a level standing
- Build a stockpile and safely load a vehicle i.e. dumper or trailer
- Quick Hitch, if required
- End of shift checks
There are a couple of different variations excavator
- to 10 tonnes (excluding Micro Excavator)
- Above and below 10 tonnes
- Theory Quick Hitch
If you have any attachments these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
So what will you achieve from completing this course?
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an operator
- Be able to locate and identify the major components and key controls of the machine and explain their functions
- Conduct all pre-operational checks, identify PPE appropriate for excavator 360 use and prepare the excavator ready for operation
- Configure the machine travel and manoeuvre it safely across varying terrain in open and confined open
- Start and stop the engine and safely move the machine off and stop it safely
- Operate machinery safely and efficiently
- Storage and transport of excavator 360 attachments
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of loading and unloading procedures for machine transportation
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Registration with NPORS can be with either the standard 5 year traditional card or with a NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
NPORS/CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
New Entrant – No (S)NVQ Held (2 year – Red Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite Excavator NVQ will be issued with a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite (S)NVQ.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record / operator logbook will also be issued.
New Entrant – (S)NVQ Held (5 year – Blue Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite (S)NVQ will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record / operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.
Please note that in all cases for a NPORS/CSCS card, operators will have to supply proof that they have passed the CITB health, safety & environmental touch screen test within two years.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS traditional registration and plastic ID card N202 360 Excavator
- NPORS/CSCS registration and plastic ID card C202 360 Excavator
2 year Red card – No NVQ
5 year Blue card – if you hold a NVQ for Excavations
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘There are three categories of worker who must be trained and competent regarding the excavator hazards and precautions: Drivers: should be trained, competent and authorised to operate the specific excavator. Training certificates from recognised schemes help demonstrate competence and certificates should be checked for validity; Signallers: should be trained, competent and authorised to direct excavator movements and, where
possible, provided with a protected position from which they can work in safety; and Pedestrians: should be instructed in safe pedestrian routes on site and the procedure for making drivers aware of their presence’
Specifications – requirements for the course
- Area to dig a trench 15m for above 10T and 10m for below 10T.
- A dumper/trailer on site to load into with some spoil from the site.
- Trench length will be determined by the machine weight
- Below 10 tonnes – 10 meters, 1 meter deep
- Above 10 tonnes – 15 to 20 meters, 1 meter deep
- Loading vehicle to be filled to capacity. Minimum of 2 loads from each.
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session and a safe area for the practical session.
- For the NPORS category ‘above and below 10T’ an excavator above 10T will be required for the assessment/test or the operator will be restricted to the smaller machine. Combination of 3 + 3 test available for experienced workers with the dumper or similar machine.
- The Instructor is required to see the machine/equipment’s LOLER certificate (if applicable) before commencement of the course.
- All machines to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N202 360 Excavator course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team