We specialise in providing both on-site training and courses delivered at our purpose designed training centre in Middlewich, Cheshire. The N402 Slinger Signaller course is delivered using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine operating, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To train people nominated as slinger signallers in the safe use of lifting tackle and their responsibilities.
Other Marshalling courses available include :
Delegate Eligibility – Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration : 1 Day
- Refresher and Tests: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Tests (EWT): This is just testing only 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
EWT’s are also applicable for a special combination of tests – as a slinger signaller is required for the test a 3 + 3 Combination is available.
i.e. 3 Crane tests + 3 Slinger tests, in the day
Test timings : Each candidates full practical Slinger test must be completed within 1 hour 20 minute duration.
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Pre lifting checks
- Lifting accessories check
- Lifting and moving
- Post lifting checks
Variations for Slinger Signaller
- Wheeled Mobile
- Lorry mounted
- Tower crane
- Crawler crane
- Overhead crane
- Lorry loader
- Side boom
Variations for Slinger Fleeting
- Chain blocks
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as a Slinger Signaller
- Be able to conform to manufacturer requirements as per technical data, conform to relevant regulations and legislation
- Be able to locate, identify and explain different types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories. Explain their basic construction, uses, applications and their functions
- Be able to interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation
- Undertake all pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories and identify non-serviceable items
- Explain procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service
- Identify and explain centres of gravity and calculate estimated weights of loads
- Set up exclusion zone explaining actions required for emergency actions, identifying any overhead hazards
- Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for Slinger Signaller use
- Secure various types of loads to a hook using the relevant lifting accessories and procedures ensuring load balance, security and integrity
- Carry out all out-of services and securing procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Registration with NPORS can be with either the standard 5 year traditional card or with a NPORS CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
NPORS CSCS Construction Plant Operator Card.
New Entrant – No (S)NVQ Held (2 year – Red Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do not hold the requisite Slinging NVQ will be issued with a Trained Operator card valid for 2 years from the date they were tested. During the two year period they will be required to register for and achieve the requisite (S)NVQ.
On successful completion of this process a Competent Operator card will be issued valid for 5 years from the date of application. A CPD record & operator logbook will also be issued.
New Entrant – (S)NVQ Held (5 year – Blue Card)
Once successfully tested operators who do currently hold the requisite (S)NVQ will be issued with a Competent Operator card valid for 5 years from the date they were tested. Operators in receipt of the Competent Operator card will also be issued with a CPD record & operator logbook. This will be an ongoing record of the operators continuous professional development and of their operating hours in the workplace.
Please note that in all cases for a NPORS CSCS card, operators will have to supply proof that they have passed the CITB health, safety & environmental touch screen test within two years.
So candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS traditional registration and plastic ID card N402 Slinger
- NPORS CSCS registration and plastic ID card C402 Slinger
2 year Red card – No NVQ
5 year Blue card – if you hold a NVQ for Slinger Signaller
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘Adequate training should ensure that those who use the equipment are safe, use of a responsible slinger or banks person and use a recognised signalling system’.
Specifications – requirements for the course
- The weight of all loads must be known and clearly marked
- Test area must be appropriate for the tasks, clear of hazards with an agreed exclusion zone
- Lifting machine operator must be adequately trained
- At least 2 different types of lifting accessories must be used
- Both radio communication and hand signals must be used for Load 1 (Balanced load lifted to a designated out of sight position)
- A guide or tag line must be of sufficient length, free of knots and in good condition
This course can be delivered on-site where we come to you and use your equipment, alternatively you can come to us and we will provide everything you need for the course.
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session.
- A safe area for the practical session
- We will require a crane to lift i.e. overhead gantry crane or telehandler or excavator.
- Slings & Shackles etc.
- Representative loads
- The Instructor is required to see the LOLER certificate for all equipment used for the practical sessions before commencement of the course.
- All machines to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their own date of birth and National Insurance number.
Training Centre Course Requirements
For courses conducted at our training centre, in Middlewich we provide all the equipment, tools and supplies required to conduct the course.
Delegates will need to be suitably dressed to use the equipment, and may wish to bring their own PPE to use.
Candidates will need to know their own dates of birth and National Insurance number.
Courses at our training centre can be run as open training programmes, meaning that if you only have one or two candidates, you can join a course with other delegates on a mutually convenient day.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N402 Slinger Signaller course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team