At Kentra we specialise in providing a wide selection of Lifting operation courses, including this N027 Excavation Marshall course. The course is delivered on-site using a mixture of both classroom based tutorial and practical machine marshalling, testing and a final course assessment.
Aims and Objectives
To train candidates in the marshalling of plant and equipment, movement on-site such as parking and working with machines whilst performing various tasks i.e. loading a vehicle, excavating a trench etc
Other Marshalling courses available include :
Delegate Eligibility, Entry Requirements
This course is designed for candidates of all abilities. We can assist candidates with any learning difficulties or where English may not be their first language, please mention when booking a course.
There are 3 levels of experience
- Novice: Where full training is required. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: Duration : 1 day
- Refresher and Tests: Where candidates require refresher training and may need some remedial tuition. 3 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
- Experienced Worker Tests (EWT): This is just testing only 6 Candidates: 1 Machine: 1 Instructor: 1 Day
Test timings: All testing and training are 1 day duration for the maximum number of candidates (as detailed above dependant on experience)
- Responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other relevant legislation and guidelines
- Method Statements, Risk Assessments, Permits to work
- Pre operational checks
- Guide plant machinery into designated area
- Manoeuvre plant machinery, safe digging practices to complete a task
- Reverse plant machinery into a position to tip
- Monitoring and directing plant machinery
- Safely guide plant machinery into a designated parking area
- End of shift checks & safety
If you have any attachments fitted to the machines, these can be included in the assessment and detailed on the training card (if required).
- Have a basic understanding of the dangers and their responsibilities as an Excavation Marshall
- Have knowledge of the equipment to be used and be conversant with Method Statements, Risk Assessments, Permits to work
- Identify and maintain PPE appropriate for use
- Conduct all pre-excavating checks
- Agree communication signals and emergency procedures
- Define and identify underground services (it is recommended that candidates have knowledge of the CAT and Genny to be able to complete this section of the course)
- Identify risks, conduct all necessary safety checks and exploratory tasks
- Carry out all end of shift and safe storage procedures
Certification & Validation
This course can be registered with our awarding body NPORS or accredited by us Kentra Training. We are a registered training provider and our cards are suitable for the HSE and insurances. Candidates successfully completing this course will receive one of the following:
- Kentra Training course validation and plastic (credit card size) ID card
- NPORS registration and plastic ID card N027 Excavation Marshall
If NPORS is required we will need to notify them prior to the course, so please mention this when booking.
Our instructor will take the candidates picture on the day of training, which will appear on their ID cards.
The technical bit…
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) ‘Adequate training should ensure that those who use the equipment are safe, use of a responsible slinger or banks person and use a recognised signalling system’.
Specifications – requirements for the course
The type and direction of services must be identified
On-site Course Requirements
You will need:
- A room for the theory session.
- A safe area for the practical session, with use of an excavator and driver for the candidates to Marshall.
- CAT and Genny to complete the underground services checks, together with a services plan to be able to check the findings, before excavations.
- Delegates will be expected to provide their own PPE including hearing, leg and eye protection, helmet and gloves. Safety Boots or steel toe-capped boots.
- All equipment to be in good working order.
- Candidates will need to know their own date of birth and National Insurance number.
How can we help
At Kentra Training Centre we are proud to offer a wide range of training courses and cater to the bespoke needs of our clients. Let us know when you need and how we can help you, and be sure of a friendly welcome from the team.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say the office staff are a fountain of all knowledge, but they know everything there is to know about our courses, and what they don’t know they can usually find out. You can message us through the website CLICK HERE, or give us a call on 01606 832 556.
Don’t worry, there’s no obligation, and no strings attached when you make an enquiry. We’ll try our best to point you in the right direction!
We look forward to helping you with this N027 Excavation Marshall course or any of your training needs.
The Kentra Training Team